A lot of people might find this strange but when I go to the gym I tend to just watch everyone training.
Most days I find myself working out just to watch others.
As I rest from set to set I tend to glance around the huge gym and watch others who are there for the same reason as myself. To get fit, be healthy and make their body more appealing to look at.
We all desire to be notice by the opposite sex. Heck we even desire to be admired by the same sex.
I find that while most people say they want to feel better, almost everyone exercises and eats right because they want to look better as well. By looking better we will actually feel better about ourselves.
With a successful body transformation comes a sense of pride and accomplishment.
That you actually finished something that you started.
- Look Better
- Move Better
- Feel Better
Most people that either workout or would like to train tend to have the same goals. If that is you than I hope you can receive a lot of value from this article.
As I watch all of the people working out in the gym I noticed a 5 things.
- There was a real lack of structure to most people’s training regimen
- Personal Trainers were giving their clients workouts that honestly didn’t meet their needs (my opinion)
- Most people really enjoy making up new exercises (this is where I get to giggle at the next viral workout video happening live in-front of me)
- The women who did know how to workout were way too into themselves (make up and sexy outfits to the gym was very confusing)
- All of the women who actually needed to be using the weights were either on cardio equipment, machines or hidden in the group class rooms
Honestly this was a little disheartening as I truly want to do something while I am their, but I joined the gym so that I could workout in peace away from my gym. This way I can get clarity on the real struggles my students face day to day.
For so long our mainstream information has scared women away from weight training with crazy myths like:
- You will get bulky and over-sized if you lift weights over 20 lbs
- Women are more at risk for injury then men
- Lifting weights makes you appear more masculine
- The only way to tone is to do a lot of reps with light weights
You may have heard some of these before.
There are a few reasons why none of this actually happens:
- Women Lack The Hormones Needed To Produce Huge Muscles (women tend to take way longer to reach their first push up or chin up)
- Men produce more testosterone and human growth hormone then women. These are the major hormones responsible for growing muscle. The truth is, it takes women way longer than men to actually see real results in training. Completely not fair but in my mind women are mentally stronger and are up for the challenge!
- With the proper coach and instruction, lifting weights is no more dangerous for women than men
- Women who lift weights tend to look a lot better in regular clothes
- Clothing started to fit better and you tend to get rid of any areas that used to jiggle.
- Although this last one is partially correct, there still must be some type of challenging resistance for the body to adapt and make changes
- Surprisingly light weights and high volume tends to lower muscle mass which means you will see and increase in body fat if you don’t keep up with the negative caloric balance. More muscle mass equals more calories burned each day.
Changing your body is actually pretty challenging to do. Think back to high school. There was always that one kid who struggled to put on muscle. You might have even had a wimpy nick name for him! He probably lifted everything insight and ate everything in his house.
Or better yet you might know some women who just look at a bagel and it adds a few pounds while there are some that can eat what ever the hell they want and stay skinny.
==>> Insert Angry Emoji Here!!
A lot of what our body will look like will come down to our genetics.
Now proper training and nutrition can help you lose weight and tone up, but the most important thing to know is….
You may never look like the person you want to look like in a magazine or on TV.
You’re genetically prone to look like you.
Embrace that and become the most beautiful version of yourself.
Hopefully by now you see the importance of training but you need to know what exercises will actually bring you the most bang for your buck!
In my gym, I like to stick to the basics. The basics when done extremely well tend to really work. You can see increases in your ability to control the movement better or increases in the amount of weight you can lift.
Here is an example of a simple exercise we use in our facility.
Really this isn’t a list of exercises but instead a list of Movements.
Hundreds of Exercises and Variations Fall Into These Four Movement Groups:
- Hip Dominant Hinge Movements
- Glute Bridges
- Deadlifts & Romanian Deadlifts
- Good Mornings
- Kettle Bell Swings
- Knee Dominant Squat Movements
- Pushing Exercises (Horizontal & Vertical)Push Ups
- TRX Chest Press
- Bench Press (Dumbbells or Barbell)
- Overhead Press (Dumbbell, Kettle Bell or Barbell)
- Pulling Exercises (Horizontal & Vertical)
- Bent Over Row (Dumbbell, Kettle Bell or Barbell)
- Inverted Rows w/ TRX
- Chin Ups or Pull Ups (assisted with bands)
- Up Right Rows
You can really go a lot deeper into movement patters. There are also lunge patterns and single leg exercise but each of them would fall under Hip or Knee dominant exercises. For most beginners they will start to see big time results just by adding these exercises into their training program.
Where most people go wrong is avoiding the free weight areas due to lack of knowledge. Because of this you see more and more people do a ton of cardio and never see the results. This usually leads to quitting out of frustration.
For the most part everyone, wants to be healthy and fit. These movement patters are extremely beneficial to helping you achieve real results. Below is an Infographic we made so that you can print it out and use when designing your next workout. >> Click Here << to download your copy!
If you are struggling to see results or just need help organizing workouts and following a plan, I encourage you to reach out and see if our program is the right fit for you. We are the only training studio in Voorhees that offers Training For Warriors Group Personal Training and Semi Private Personal Training that is individualized to each member. Each member gets nutrition coaching customized to their level so that you can maximize your results in the gym.